Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan was established in 2013 by an Act of Parliament to administer and oversee the provision and training in the fields of medical and health sciences. Under the University, there are 3 constituent faculties- Faculty of Post Graduate Medicine, Faculty of Nursing and Public Health and Faculty of Traditional Medicine- and 3 affiliated private nursing colleagues providing 34 different programmes in medicine, nursing, allied health and traditional medicine to nearly 1000 students. The University is located in Thimphu, the Capital City of Bhutan. The Jigme Dorji National Referral Hospital is its teaching hospital. The President is the head of the University. The faculties are head by a Dean.
The Faculty of Nursing and Public Health was first established in 1974 as the Health School under the Department of Health for training of Primary Health Care workers. Over the years, as Nursing and Allied Health programmes were introduced the School was upgraded to the Royal Institute of Health Sciences in 1989 and was under the Royal University of Bhutan, the first University in Bhutan established in 2003. The institute was transferred to the KGUMSB when it was established in 2013.
The FNPH offers 3 year diploma and 4 year Bachelors programmes in Nursing, Public Health and Allied Health Sciences (Medical Technicians). It has produced more than 3000 health professionals who serve in the hospitals and Primary Health Centres all over the country. They indeed are the backbone of the health care delivery services reaching out to 95% of the populations.
- Capacity building of the staff on standardization, internationalization, accreditation, and quality assurance.
- Learn from the experiences of European and regional universities on quality assurance and accreditation.
- Able to prepare self-assessment reports for internal and external audits
- Visit other universities to and share and learn about their quality education policies and procedures.
- Generate greater awareness among faculty and students on quality assurance and accreditation processes.
Director/Assistant Professor (KGUMSB)
Team and Quality Board Member